Paramount+ US


Small bells emblematic of May 1, lily of the valley is a highly toxic plant for dogs, cats, ornamental birds and rabbits. How do you recognize the signs of thrush poisoning? How to react in the event of poisoning your animal? We tell you everything.

Lily of the valley, a poisonous plant
From its botanical name Convallaria majalis, the lily of the valley belongs to the Liliaceae family. Unfortunately, despite its reputation as a “lucky charm” on May 1 and its pleasant scent, the lily of the valley is a plant that contains substances that are frighteningly toxic to our pets.
Among these toxic substances, we find saponosides, irritants for the digestive tract, and heterosides harmful to the heart.
All parts of the plant are poisonous by ingestion: berries, leaves, and stems included. Toxic substances are also present in the dried plant as well as in the water of the vase. So don’t let your pet drink this water!
The exact toxic dose of thrush is not known, but in a small animal, ingestion of a single strand may cause problems. If your pet has swallowed a large amount of any part of the plant, the nearest veterinary centre should be contacted urgently.
What are the symptoms of thrush poisoning?
The first signs of thrush poisoning usually start between a quarter of an hour and 6 hours after ingesting the plant.
They are primarily digestive and are characterized by:
repeated vomiting,
diarrhoea, sometimes containing blood and sometimes with abdominal pain.
Digestive symptoms are followed within a few hours by nervous disorders such as tremors, convulsions or uncoordinated movements. As a rule, the animal ends up prone, lying on its side.
Heart rhythm disturbances usually appear last, after digestive and nervous disorders. They can only be detected by auscultation by a veterinarian.
An increase in urine volume can also sometimes be observed.
Young or, on the contrary, ancient animals are more prone to show severe symptoms.
Without veterinary care, thrush poisoning can be fatal.
How to react in the event of my pet’s thrush poisoning?
If your animal has consumed any part of the plant, you should urgently contact the nearest veterinarian, who will tell you what to do. If you can, write down the time of ingestion of the plant and try to quantify the dose ingested so that this information can be communicated to the veterinarian. While awaiting specialist instructions, do not give your dog anything to eat or drink, and do not try to induce vomiting.
In case of the poisoning of your animal, it is also possible to contact a veterinary poison control centre among:
the Lyon CNITV: – reachable 24 hours a day all year round,
the Nantes CAPAE: 02. 40. 68.77.40 – reachable 24 hours a day all year round,
Toulouse CAPAT: – reachable from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. every working day,
the CNITV d’Alfort: 00- reachable from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on working days.


By registering, you confirm that you have read our privacy policy. You can unsubscribe at any time using the unsubscribe link in all our newsletters or by contacting us via our contact form.

Caring for and understanding a dog is not instinctive! helps you see more clearly by offering you many tips to live better with your four-legged friend and to preserve his health … all, with a lot of positive education and natural care!

By continuing to use our site, you agree to our T & Cs and the use of our Cookies & amp; trackers as well as those of our partners in order to offer you content, services, personalized advertising and to generate statistics & amp; audience analysis.