Paramount+ US

My dog ​​was stung by a wasp

Wasps, bees, hornets and other insects of the Hymenoptera family are part of the dangers of the summer for dogs. Of a curious natural and player, our doggies like to jump on everything that burst at the risk of being stung.

My dog ​​was stung by a wasp or bee; it’s serious?

No, if the dog is not allergic. The sting will then cause a simple swelling located at the location of the sting, and the story will stop there.

Yes, if the dog is allergic. In this case, a wasp or bee sting in the dog can be serious. The risk is then that it develops oedema of the face called quincke oedema and anaphylactic shock, two absolute emergencies that, if they are not supported in time by a veterinarian, can be fatal to your pet. Such allergic reactions are manifested when the dog’s immune system has already been sensitized to the antigen. In other words, this means that this type of extreme allergic reaction is generally not manifested from the first insect stitch.

Quincke oedema in a dog, it looks like what?

The oedema of Quincke is a sudden and very impressive swelling of the face of the dog that occurs in the minutes or hours that follow the insect stitch. It usually interests its babies, its nose, his ears, his eyelids. The danger is that oedema touches the gorge of the animal and causes an obstruction of the airways of the dog, who finds himself unable to breathe. The oedema of Quincke is treated by the administration of corticosteroids. It may require an investment in observation at the veterinary clinic and the epinephrine injection in case of the appearance of respiratory disorders.

Quincke oedema can sometimes be accompanied by the appearance of hiring lesions or bristle plates bristling on the dog’s body as well as vomiting due to the release of histamine by the cells of the dog’s immune system that over-react to the sting of the insect.

An anaphylactic shock, what is it?

Anaphylactic shock is a major circulatory failure due to too much dilatation of the blood vessels caused by the liberation of histamine by the cells of the immune system. This vasodilatation deprives the blood organs whose heart starts pumping in the void. Without emergency treatment, it follows a circulatory and/or respiratory judgment causing the death of the animal.

The signs that must make you think of anaphylactic shock are the appearance of tremors, agitation, signs of weakness, difficulty breathing and/or a pale or bluish colour (cyanosis) of the mucous membranes like Inside the babies.

What if my dog ​​has stung?

In case of a bee sting, remove the dart.

If your dog has been stung by a bee, it is necessary first of all to remove the dart with a tweezer. These insects are the only ones in the family of Hymenoptera to leave their dart stored in the skin of their victim. Take care not to press the venom gland that remains attached to the dart so as not to inject the rest of the venom into your dog. This operation can be particularly delicate depending on the location of the sting (the dart can be very difficult to see if the string is a very hairy area) and depending on the desire of your dog to collaborate. Some dogs can be particularly aggressive when they hurt. If so, muzzle your dog to avoid getting biting or not insisting and letting your veterinarian.

Disinfect the location of the sting with an antiseptic solution that does not sting (breeze type),

Apply if possible an ice pocket to the point of the sting to reduce the inflammation related to the sting,

Place your dog under narrow surveillance. No question indeed to leave it alone in the hours following the sting. At the slightest serious sign of allergy, conduct your dog without delay with the nearest veterinarian.

Even if your dog has no signs of allergy, it is still necessary to consult a veterinarian in case the insect piqued an awkward or dangerous place for your animal: his truffle, his tongue, his eyelids or the inside of his throat.


By registering, you confirm that you have read our privacy policy. You can unsubscribe at any time using the unsubscribe link in all our newsletters or by contacting us via our contact form.

Caring for and understanding a dog is not instinctive! helps you see more clearly by offering you many tips to live better with your four-legged friend and to preserve his health … all, with a lot of positive education and natural care!

By continuing to use our site, you agree to our T & Cs and the use of our Cookies & amp; trackers as well as those of our partners in order to offer you content, services, personalized advertising and to generate statistics & amp; audience analysis.